Monday, January 14, 2008

Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables

After Saturday's indulgent dinner, I wanted to serve something light and healthy for our Sunday night meal. Plus, my friend Karen was joining us and she also likes to eat healthy so I wanted to offer something tasty and low-calorie. This recipe comes from Fitness Magazine - I tore it out of an issue several months ago. It is quick and easy to prepare and tastes great. You can substitute pretty much any vegetables you desire - last night I used broccoli, snow peas and the shredded carrots (Joe doesn't like asparagus, which is what the recipe originally calls for). I also double the sauce. I served this over brown rice and it was a great satisfying and healthy meal.


Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables

1/4 cup bottled Italian salad dressing (I used fat-free)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil (I used cooking spray)
12 ounces chicken breast tenderloins
10 ounces asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces, or 10-ounce package frozen cut asparagus, thawed and well drained (I used broccoli florets and snow peas instead)
1 cup shredded carrot (this is a LOT of carrot, I recommend using 1/2 cup)
1 small tomato, seeded and chopped (I omitted)

Stir together salad dressing, vinegar, honey, and crushed red pepper in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and cook chicken for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tender and no longer pink, turning once. Remove chicken to serving dish; cover and keep warm.
Add asparagus and carrot to skillet. Cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes, or until asparagus is crisp-tender; transfer to dish.
Stir dressing mixture and add to skillet. Cook for 1 minute, stirring to scrape up browned bits. Drizzle dressing over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with tomato.

Nutrition Facts
Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 271 calories, 22g protein, 12g carbohydrate, 15g fat (2g saturated), 2g fiber

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks delicious!!!!

Jaime said...

this looks great! so healthy too :)